This surprisingly simple, crowd-pleasing dessert can help you get more fruit and whole grains, helpful for addressing high blood pressure, while still eating food you enjoy.
Blood Pressure Friendly Berry Tart
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/2 tbsp margarine (non-hydrogenated) or butter
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries thaw frozen berries before baking
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the milk and vanilla. Stir until the batter is smooth.
- Melt margarine/butter in the microwave, in the bottom of an 8x8” baking dish.
- Pour in the batter and sprinkle the top with berries.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and cooked through in the middle.
Adapted from the great little Student's Vegetarian Cookbook. Adjust the sugar relative to your preferences and the sweetness of the berries.