My husband and I love this salad. With the crunchy apple and sunflower seeds, and the flavourful vinaigrette and feta cheese, it personifies my #noboringsalads motto.
If you split this recipe in two, each one will give you just 10 grams of protein. That’s not quite enough for a meal, so pair it with another protein source – a piece of salmon perhaps, or throw in the whole can of chickpeas and call it a vegetarian night. Or, I often add packaged roasted chickpeas for extra fibre, protein and crunch.
The recipe comes from the Nutrition Action Healthletter, one of my favourite reads. It’s a fun way to learn about food and health, pick up a new recipe or two, and support the non-profit Center for Science in the Public Interest, as they fight for better food policies and labelling.
Crunchy Spinach and Beet Salad
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup beets boiled or roasted, peeled and chopped (see note)
- 1/2 apple diced
- 1/2 cup chickpeas canned or cooked, no salt added
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds unsalted
- 30 g light feta cheese
- 2 tbsp classic vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix the vinaigrette ingredients in a food processor or mini-chopper.
- Toss and enjoy.