Crunchy peanut cabbage salad
Fresh, heart-healthy, budget-friendly peanut slaw.
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup uncooked farro about 1 cup of cooked farro, or similar grain
- 3 each small mandarin oranges
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted peanuts *
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (use 1/2 tsp if you like heat)
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar **
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice about half a lime
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter crunchy or smooth
- 1/4 cup water
Start the farro cooking if it's not already cooked.
Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl.
Add all dressing ingredients to a small food processor or mini-chopper. Blend until smooth.
Toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings.
* If you have a peanut allergy, you could make this with cashew butter or tahini in place of the peanut butter, and pumpkin seeds or slivered almonds in place of the peanuts.
** If your rice vinegar has sugar in it (check the label), you might cut back on the sugar in the dressing.
Nutrition, per cup: 210 calories, 14g fat, 2.2g saturated fat, 34g carbohydrates, 7g fibre, 12g sugar (4g added/free sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 243mg sodium, 10g protein.