There was so much interest in last week’s post about feeding a family with diverse preferences that I wanted to share one of the kid-friendlier recipes in my 30-Minute Heart Healthy Cookbook, this Roasted Tomato and Chicken Pasta.
I use chicken thighs because they’re more forgiving than breasts, and easier on the budget, which helps if you’re feeding a crowd. They’re a bit higher in saturated fat, but not enough to make a difference healthwise.
The bold flavours in this dish can stand up to whole-wheat pasta, but use regular if you prefer, or mix them half and half, which works for my brood.
Roast a sheet of mushrooms, bell peppers, or other veggies tossed in oil while you have the oven on, and just serve them on the side if you think not everyone will be a fan. Finish with fresh parsley, basil, thyme, or oregano if you have some on hand.
As with everything in the book, consider it an inspiration, and improvise however you think will work in your home. Serve the olives on the side (or not), or substitute grated cheddar for the parmesan for the kids if that’s what it takes. The goal is a relaxing, nutritious meal that everyone can enjoy without hours of cooking and cleaning.
Roasted Tomato and Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp canola or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat rotini
- 10 kalamata olives pitted, sliced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, if desired. Toss the chicken in a large bowl with the tomatoes, garlic, oil, and basil. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, and spread out evenly.
- Roast until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes, tossing halfway though. A meat thermometer should read 165°F.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the chicken and tomatoes with the pasta, olives, and pepperf lakes (if using). Top with Parmesan, if desired.