This recipe came from my sister-in-law Faye, who asked me for vegan recipe ideas a couple of years ago, and is now a vegetarian herself and passing favourites to me. Sorry to say, I don’t know the original source to credit. This is one of those recipes that gets shared and modified and shared some more.
I’m kind of a recipe follower, but she’s more daring: “I make some adjustments depending on my flavour preferences of the moment…sage, rosemary and thyme for a roast chicken flavour, or mushrooms and HP sauce for a more beefy taste.”
Savoury Pecan Loaf
- 1 cup onion, chopped (optional) caramelize the onion
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock mix
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup pecans ground in the food processor
- 4 1/2 cups bran flakes lightly pulsed in food processor
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Pan-fry the onions in the oil. (Or caramelize them if you have the time and inclination.)
- Beat the eggs, cottage cheese, and milk together in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the ketchup, and mix well.
- Pack the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Spread ketchup on top.
- Bake uncovered in 375F oven for 45min.
(Note: This was calculated using the ingredients above as well as 1% milk and 1% cottage cheese. It's for 1/8 of the recipe.) Calories - 305,
Fat - 18g,
Saturated fat - 3g,
Trans fat - 0g,
Carbohydrates - 24g,
Fibre - 4g,
Sugars - 6g, (Added sugar - 3g),
Protein - 14g,
Cholesterol - 77mg,
Sodium - 512mg,
Potassium - 269mg,
Calcium - 107mg,
Iron - 4mg